The rescue technician works as a member of the technical rescue standby team. Rescue Technicians are responsible to perform set-up, rigging, atmospheric monitoring of vessels or spaces. They are responsible for entering confined spaces of gain access to other technical rescue situations to provide life safety and EMS services to victims.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement technical skills and operate equipment necessary for completing the rescue operation of the incident action or rescue plan.
- Performs rescue operations under direct supervision of a Lead Rescue Tech or Captain and provides progress reports as needed.
- Responsible for the application of appropriate rescue tactics and techniques including rope rescue, confined space rescue, high/low angle rescue, victim packaging and extrication.
- Responsible for the safe and effective operation and maintenance of rescue tools, equipment, apparatus and PPE.
- Keeps the station and related grounds, facilities, and supplies in a clean, orderly and useable condition.
- Performs routine pre-rescue work tasks willingly and adequately such as documentation of daily equipment checks, calibration, daily activity logs on Company records, maintaining and other documented information in planning technical rescue activities.
- Able to meet the physical requirements required to perform technical rescue tasks.
- Meets continuing educational requirements in emergency medical procedures and maintains skills in the operation and maintenance of medical equipment.
- Projects a positive image to the public as a safety professional. Develops and maintains support for technical rescue and standby activities.
- Maintains a current and thorough working knowledge of local, state and federal codes and standards, and is able to correctly interpret and apply them.
- Abides by the Company’s rules, regulations, policies, procedures, mission, guiding principles, and “The Capstone Way.”
- Preforms additional tasks or duties as assigned.
- Maintains knowledge, skills and proficiency by attending training drills and completing training assignments as directed by the company.
Education and Experience:
- Valid Driver’s License
- Valid Medical Examiner’s Card
- Clean Driver’s Record
- High School Diploma or GED
- CPR with AED
- EMT (Desired)
- CSR Physical Agility Test (see job description for details)
- Pass full DOT physical (bending, pushing, pulling, crouching, and vision)
- Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC)
- Pass Federal TSA background check for access into installations near waterways and sensitive security areas
- Experience in a professional fire department or rescue industry experience
- Confined Space Rescue Technician (40hrs) (Other agencies will be accepted, but specific Capstone rescue jobs require CA State Fire Marshal Rescue Technician and must be met prior to Job Assignment)
- Desirable Qualifications:
- 40hr HAZWOPER
- I-200, I-300, CA State Fire Marshal Trench Rescue,
- CA State Fire Marshal Rescue Systems I
- OSHA 30 – General Industry
- Scott SCBA Technician, MSA Atmospheric Technician
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position:
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong organizational and analytical skills. Ability to provide efficient, timely, reliable and courteous service to customers. Ability to effectively present information.
- REASONING ABILITY: Ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to solve problems involving several options in situations. Requires advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
- COMPUTER SKILLS: Advanced computer software application (Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) and Internet navigational skills. Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Clearly see objects with vision meeting Company requirements
- Follow verbal and written instructions
- Effectively apply rescue, and emergency medical techniques
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Think and act quickly and competently in emergencies and under stress.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
- This is a full-time position.
- This position requires routine visits to personnel at various locations and sites. Overnight travel is rare.
- Work and live as a member of a team and give and follow directions in an emergency setting
- Ability to use continuous and/or short bursts of muscle force to jump, sprint, climb ladders, pull victims out of hazardous areas
- Up and downstairs carrying equipment as required, lifting, pushing, pulling, or carrying objects using hands, arms, back, abdominal muscles, shoulders, or legs
- Exert physically over a period of time without giving out
- Ability to meet Essential Job Functions
- Must be able to Pass the initial and annual Arduous Work Capacity Test
- Work effectively and safely during unavoidable exposure to an unpleasant environment with exposure to potentially serious and somewhat unpredictable hazards
- Safely wear a self-contained breathing apparatus without medical or physical restriction
- Move body quickly while keeping balance on surfaces offering narrow footing
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
*Get paid to work with your friends! GMR is looking for people like you!
GMR Employees, if you know someone like you, have them add your name to their application and receive a Referral Cash Bonus!